What Are We Looking For (When we are Looking)?Positive stories demonstrating the triumph of the human spirit and the power of hope and humane values in overcoming the most daunting challenges.
We are interested in all SF and Fantasy genres, but no horror please.
- No to Pollyannish and Utopian simplicity.
- Yes to communities and teams working together to overcome dire challenges.
- Yes to marginalized and under-represented characters as protagonists.
- Yes to science and magic that solve problems, alleviate suffering, and boldly explore new possibilities.
- No to corrupt, dystopian governments or evil corporations.
- Tone down the violence, profanity, and sex. It’s only useful if the story demands it.
Story LengthShorter is better!
We need works 5,000 words and under. If you submit a story over 5,000 words, it has to be amazing to get very far in the review process.
Overall, we will consider the following word counts:
- Flash Fiction & Poetry: 100 – 1500 words
- Short Stories: 2,000 – 7,500 words
- Novelettes: 7,500 – 10,000 words.
Submission FormattingYour story must be submitted in Word or RTF format.
Top of the First Page
- Title of Story (centered)
- Your By Line (centered)
- No Address or other Personal Info please.
- Font: Arial, Size 12
- Double spaced
- Indented paragraphs
- Single space after periods.
- No extra line break between paragraphs
- Section breaks, as needed, should be three ### symbols, centered on the page.
- In the document Header, include Last Name/Title/Page #
- When you SAVE your file, name it in the following way: FirstName-LastName-Story-Title