Eye to the Telescope
- Please submit 1–3 poems in English (in body of e-mail, or attached as .doc, .docx, or .rtf). Translations from other languages are acceptable with the permission of the original poet (unless public domain).
- Please send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “ETTT sub:” followed by the poet’s name.
- Include a short bio.
- Deadline: June 15. The issue will appear on July 15, 2020.
Payment and rights
- Accepted poems will be paid for at the following rate: US 3¢/word rounded up to nearest dollar; minimum US $3, maximum $25. Payment is on publication.
- The Science Fiction & Fantasy Poetry Association normally uses PayPal to pay poets, but can also send checks.
- Eye to the Telescope is an online publication. Therefore, First Electronic Rights (for original unpublished poems) are being sought.
Who can submit?
Anyone writing speculative poetry.
What is Speculative Poetry?
A good starting point is “About Science Fiction Poetry” by Suzette Haden Elgin, the founder of the Science Fiction Poetry Association. Despite its title, this article is applicable all forms of speculative poetry.
Tim Jones, editor of Issue 2, had a go at defining science fiction poetry on his blog, in two parts (These blog posts date from 2009, and the Voyagers anthology has since been published. These posts do refer specifically to science fiction poetry, rather than the broader field of speculative poetry.):
What Is the Science Fiction & Fantasy Poetry Association (SFPA)?
See the SFPA site for lots more information—and please consider joining.
* * *Interested in editing an issue of Eye to the Telescope? See the Editors’ Guidelines for information and requirements.