- Theatre commoning (resources managed and produced with generosity and abundance, community and collaboration)
- Ideas and practices that challenge—and seek to revolutionize—the status quo
- Lesser-known or marginalized aesthetics, or new forms of theatre practice
- Equity, inclusivity, and accessibility for underrepresented theatre communities and practices
- Theatre practice, process, and relevant issues in a specific geographic location that are meaningful and relevant to others around the world.
Our team of editors work with all writers to edit pieces for style and content.
We pay an honorarium to each author based on the length of the published piece. Knowing that many people do not have enough free time to volunteer their perspectives and experience to benefit the overall theatre community, we fundraise to compensate you for the time it entails to make this essay contribution to the commons.
- 750-1000 words: $50 USD
- 1000-1500 words: $100 USD
- 1500-2000 words: $150 USD
- If you’re interested in conducting an interview, check out these interview guidelines and best practices.
- If you’re interested in writing an analysis of a specific show, going beyond a traditional “thumbs-up, thumbs-down” review, check out these NewCrit guidelines and best practices. We typically find that the best NewCrit pieces are 1000–1500 words.