Chicago Review Press
Submission GuidelinesWe are interested in publishing high-quality nonfiction that will sell year after year. We look for books with a well-defined, passionate target audience. Chicago Review Press publishes nonfiction in the following categories: African American interest, autobiography/biography, DIY, film, food and drink (not cookbooks), history, music, parenting, politics, popular culture, popular science, social science, sports, regional (Midwest), nature/outdoor/travel, true crime, and women's interest. Chicago Review Press also publishes an award-winning line of children's and young adult titles. We do not publish children's picture books whether fiction or nonfiction. We do not publish books in the following subject areas: mind/body/spirit, religion, diet/fitness/nutrition, family memoir, self-help, business, poetry, or photography.
Before sending us a proposal, it’s a good idea to e-mail a brief query to one of our acquiring editors (see contact information below).
In order to consider your nonfiction book for potential publication, we need to see a proposal that includes the following items:
- A one sentence summary of your book
- A brief synopsis of your book in 1–2 paragraphs
- The estimated word count of the final manuscript
- The estimated completion date
- Author biography specifying credentials and past publications credit, where appropriate
- Approximate sales of previous books published, if any
- A complete table of contents and/or a complete outline of the proposed chapters
- A few sample chapters, preferably the first three.
- For children's activity books, a few sample activities with a list of the others
- Any information regarding photographs or artwork for the book
- A description of the target audience and any information about the market
- A list of competing and comparable titles and how your book differs—be sure to tell us what makes your book unique