wanderful is in search of storytellers.
Are you interested in writing for an audience of adventurous, independent, globally minded women travelers? Do you want to empower and help women to travel the world? Would you like to join a supportive, diverse community of feminists across the globe?
You’ve come to the right place.
what we’re looking for.
Our pieces are thoughtful, actionable, engaging, and community-oriented. They provide real-life examples with useful tips about information that women are looking for when they travel, and as they build their global identities. Though some of our pieces aren’t women-specific, every article is written with our audience and community in mind.
what you get for publishing with us.
all wanderful writers receive:
- One free year of Traveler Membership in the Wanderful community.
- A byline on your article linked to your own author page that aggregates all your wanderful articles.
- The ability to work and hone your writing skills with experienced, professional editors to produce high-quality content.
- Your work and name on an internationally recognized travel website with over 25k monthly views
- Your work posted and your accounts mentioned on our social media profiles, reaching potentially 40k followers.
- You work shared across some of our email lists, potentially reaching the inboxes of over 27k subscribers.
- The potential to also host an event for the Wanderful community, depending on your topic and area of expertise.
- The option of hosting Instagram stories or a Facebook live in conjunction with your post.
in return, we expect that our writers:
- Work with us to edit your work. We want the best, and we want to bring the best out of you. Every edit we give you is done with the intention of making you a better writer.
- Submit and edit your work on time. Our editing process is precise and our turnaround process is quick. Once you submit your fully written article for review by the agreed-upon deadline, you can expect to receive feedback from us in anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. When that happens, we expect to see a second (and sometimes third) draft quickly.
- Promote your work on your own social media and to your networks!
your piece should fit into (at least) one of these categories:
travel guides & tips. The Wanderful community represents all women who travel. We are not solely concerned about safety. We are not singular in our experiences. We seek unique, diverse stories and perspectives. Travel as a woman of color, a queer or trans woman, a deaf woman, etc. Samples from this category include:
global issues. Global issues facing women that are important to address. This includes broader themes of politics, religion, culture, language, history, geography, and more. These articles reflect a greater understanding of our role as travelers and as women in different spaces and places around the world. Samples from this category include:
women to watch. Features on amazing women travelers, global entrepreneurs and leaders, creators, etc. We especially love sharing the stories of Wanderful members and creators who are doing amazing things. Tell us about the women who can inspire us all on our travels. Samples from this category include:
global lifestyle. Share examples and insights for globally-minded women to live a travel-inspired lifestyle. Inspire us to travel the world without leaving home, from food and drink to books, language, and beyond. Samples from this category include:
health & wellness. Special insights for women travelers, including health concerns or challenges for women of varying identities. Samples from this category include:
women travel creators. Tips and advice for women content creators in the travel industry. You must have expertise in the topic to be published. Samples from this category include:
We are very much aware of the vast intersectional experiences of women who travel. For this reason, we share diverse stories from women of all ethnicities, racial identities, religions, sexual orientations, gender expressions, and abilities.
how to pitch.
We require a draft to review your story. You will be asked to submit a link to your Google Doc with editing permission, so please be prepared to include that in your pitch form:
You MUST fill out this form if you are pitching an unwritten piece and have never written for us before. Cold pitches sent to any Wanderful team email address will not be reviewed.
some writing tips before you submit your pitch.
- Posts must be at least 1,000 words and no longer than 2,500 words.
- Be authentic, honest, and real.
- Write with short paragraphs and concise sentences.
- Use headers to break up your text — no section of text should be longer than 300 words (headers are H2 and subheaders are H3)
- Your content must connect to travel and our global society — this is especially relevant for any global lifestyle, women to watch, or health & wellness articles.
- Contributors will be asked to submit images to accompany the post.
- Images must be high-resolution (minimum 1200px wide) and may be landscape or portrait.
- Contributor must have the rights to publish those images or must provide Wanderful with the information required to credit the photographer
- Write how you talk!
- Show, don’t tell. Our audience is largely comprised of feminists and globally minded women, which means you can assume some prior knowledge of global social issues. You don’t need to explain the definition of feminism to anyone. Just describe your story.
- Personal narratives about trips are lovely, but they need to have some sort of hook in order to be engaging to our readers. A piece that describes all the cities you visited on a trip to Italy may be pretty to read, but won’t generate interest. A story about those cities’ most badass woman-created street art, however, may be just the hook we’re looking for!
what we do not publish.
- Articles that are plagiarized or have been published elsewhere. All content is unique.
- False reviews.
- Excessive profanity.
- Explicit content or images.
some words that describe our voice:
Inspiring, Honest, Confident, Personal, Empowering, Embracing, Conversational, Community-oriented, Factual, Respectful, Authentic.
We tell it like it is. We use facts to back up our arguments, especially when writing about serious or controversial topics.
Our audience primarily consists of women who are 25-35 years old as well as women who are 55-70 years old. Though we are based in the United States, our audience is represented all around the world.
Many of our readers are experienced travelers who travel for cultural awareness/exchange, work/study abroad, and global-mindedness, but others are brand new to travel and looking for guidance and inspiration.
Our audience is more interested in local activities than tourist attractions. Don’t send us “5 things to do in Paris.” We love Paris, but you’ve got to get more specific and cater to this community.
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT SUBMISSIONS:
We receive such a high number of pitches, and we apologize that we are unable to inform you if your pitch has been rejected. Please do not contact us to inquire about the status of your pitch.
Only those whose pitches have been accepted will be contacted. Additionally, due to the high number of pitches we receive, sometimes it can take weeks or months for us to inform you if your pitch has been accepted. If your piece has been accepted elsewhere and you would like to withdraw it from consideration, please feel free to email us and let us know.
we can’t wait to hear from you.