Into the Void
Until we reach our Submittable-allotted monthly free submissions limit, there is no fee to submit, but free submissions fill up quickly. Thereafter you may submit via the Tip Jar. There are always two free-submissions windows during each reading period. Tip Jar submissions are a vital source of the income that allows us to run day-to-day, and are hugely appreciated. Your donation will not go to any of the editors: All editors at Into the Void are unpaid volunteers.
Visual art submissions are accepted via email and are always free. See here for details.
Rights and Payment
All writing submissions must be unpublished, but visual art can be previously published. Authors and visual artists retain all rights. Simultaneous submissions are fine, just let us know right away if accepted elsewhere.
Into the Void is committed to paying writers and artists. At present we offer $10 per poem, flash fiction or visual art piece, and $20 per long-form prose piece; plus a contributor copy and one-year online subscription to Into the Void. While we know these rates won’t make you rich, they are nevertheless symbolic of our commitment to supporting writers and artists as well as our intentions to continually increase these rates whenever possible. Payments will be sent via PayPal only. PayPal accounts are free, and PayPal funds can be deposited into bank accounts at no charge. Because running a literary magazine is immensely difficult financially, any and all support is hugely appreciated (subscribe, or buy an issue!).
We are extremely loyal to our contributors and love building supportive relationships with them in their careers. We nominate our best contributors for The Pushcart Prize, O. Henry Award, The Best American Short Stories, The Best American Nonrequired Reading, The Best American Essays, Best of the Net, The Best Small Fictions, Bettering American Poetry, and the VERA.
There is no fee to submit to Into the Void, but we strongly recommend you read an issue before submitting. A one-year subscription of the print magazine (4 issues) with unlimited online access offers 50% off the cost of single issues; a one-year online-only subscription is CA$9.99; a single print issue is CA$15 + shipping—all are jam-packed with literature and visual art we are totally infatuated with.
As a quarterly magazine, we accept submissions during four periods per year (excluding contests):
- February 1 through March 7
- May 1 through June 7
- August 1 through September 7
- November 1 through December 7
- Submissions are read blind; do not include any identifying information in your submission document, document title, or the title in the Submittable form (except for visual art submissions, as we do not yet have the ability to read those blind).
- You may submit up to one short story, one creative nonfiction essay, 3 flash fictions, 4 poems, or 12 images. Please submit to only one of these categories per reading period, unless you are submitting via the Tip Jar in which case there is no limit to how many times you may submit and how many categories you may submit to.
- Please follow standard manuscript format. For prose, double-spaced in 12-point; poetry, single-spaced (unless specific formatting required).
- Please follow us on social media: Facebook; Twitter; Instagram.
- You can expect to hear back from us within approximately 6 weeks, sometimes a little longer, but we try to respond as quickly as we can.
- By submitting to Into the Void, you are agreeing to be added to our mailing list. You can unsubscribe at any time.
- Contact email@example.com with questions.