New Media Writing Prize
New Media Writing Prize
2022 Competition Rules
1. These terms and conditions are the competition rules (the “Rules”). By entering into the competition (the “Competition”), the entrants agree to be bound by these Rules. Failure to comply by an entrant will result in his/her entry being disqualified.
2. The Competition is organised by Bournemouth University Higher Education Corporation (“BU”) through The Faculty of Media and Communication.
3. The objective of this Competition is to reward the best new media work based on the criteria outlined http://newmediawritingprize.co.uk/faqs/
4. The winning work in each category will receive the following prize:
The Chris Meade Memorial UK New Media Writing Prize: £1000
donated by if:book UK/Chris Meade, where the winner may also be a
student, i.e., satisfies point d. of clause 7.
The Student Award: TBD
The Opening Up Award: £500
The Digital Journalism Award: £500 and a year’s FIPP membership
5. The Competition is free and open to any person whatever their age or nationality. BU assumes that where an entrant is under 18, the entrant’s parents
have consented to their entry in the Competition and their agreement to be bound
by the Rules.
6. Entries must be received by: Friday November 25th, 2022, 12 noon UK time except for
December 2022 12 noon UK time
(Late entries will not be considered)
Follow the instructions on the Competition website.
Use the online entry form.
7. Each entry should contain the following information within the text of the online form:
a. title of the work;
b. Entrant’s contact details: name, email address, telephone number and postal address. For joint entries, all entrants’ contact details must be provided with identification of the main entrant for contact purposes;
c. Access details, eg URL. If an app, we will need 6 free access codes for the judges.
If we cannot access the work, we will not judge it.
d. Entrant’s short autobiography (50-100 words). For joint entries, all entrants must provide their autobiographies.
e. Student entrants must provide a proof of identity which should be copied into the entry form, in the short biography section, e.g. a scan copy of entrant’s Student Union ID card or university enrolment number, which will be authenticated at the organiser’s discretion.
f. No attachments will be accepted.
BU accepts no responsibility for incorrectly completed, lost, or delayed entries or for the non-inclusion of entries because of technical failures.
8. All work entered in the Competition must be original material. The copyright in such work remains with the entrant(s).
9. Each entrant agrees to grant BU a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use his/her submitted work in BU’s corporate publications, on the BU website and New Media Writing Prize partners' websites, in BU’s advertising and marketing materials and for display purposes.
10. Each entrant agrees to grant permission for the work to be archived in the New Media Writing Prize Collection at the British Library, and in the NEXT collections.
These archives are non-profit and are intended to promote your work globally.
11. Each entrant hereby warrants that the work which (s)he submits for this Competition does not infringe the intellectual property rights of any third party and BU reserves the right to disqualify any entrant who has submitted a work which, in BU’s opinion, constitutes a potential or actual infringement of third parties’ rights.
12. Entrants hereby agree that participating in this Competition does not imply nor can it be construed as creating any obligation for BU to enter into any undertaking with any entrants in the future.
13. BU does not accept any liability for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any entrants as a result of participating in the Competition or being selected. BU does not exclude its liability for death or personal injury as a result of its negligence.
14. The personal information entrants provide to BU when entering the
Competition will only be used by BU in accordance with the Data Protection Act
1998 and BU will not disclose it to third parties other than the new media partners
named in clause 2 above.
15. BU reserves the right to mention the entrants’ names in relation with this Competition and all entrants agree to take part in any publicity or promotion that may be organised by BU in relation with this Competition whether or not their work has been selected under clause 10.
16. BU reserves the right to cancel or amend the Competition or these Rules at any time if deemed necessary in BU’s opinion or in the case of circumstances arising outside of BU’s control upon prior written notice to all entrants.
17. In the event of any disputes regarding these Rules, the Competition process, the results and all other matters relating to the Competition, the decision of BU shall be final and conclusive, and no correspondence will be entered into.
18. The Competition and the Rules shall be subject to and governed by English law and any disputes arising from or under them shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
19. All queries regarding the competition rules should be ad dressed to