Minds Shine Bright
Whether it’s fast and furious, loud and bright, something that’s brewing or a spirit summoned tempest, bring us your best writing to warm our hearts through this cold Melbourne winter.
What is Minds Shine Bright?
Minds Shine Bright is an arts business that supports writers. We currently run two fiction writing competitions per year. Minds Shine Bright Confidence, a longitudinal look at confidence in fiction and our current competition with a changing theme – storm.
Behind the scenes we are working on the Minds Shine Bright anthology Confidence featuring writers from our first competition. We will be announcing the winners at a celebratory event in August and launching Confidence.
Winning and commended entries receive cash prizes and are published. Additionally, certificates and gifts of recognition are awarded to a small number of talented writers.
Our new competition theme is Storm. The closing date is 30 September 2022
Storm has the following features:
- We accept short stories, poems, short scripts and flash fiction
- We seek short, succinct fiction. The word limit is 2500 words across all categories except flash fiction where the limit is 1000 words
- There are no category specific prizes.
- There is a focus on a smaller set of writers
- The prize structure follows a 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 format:
- The winner receives $500
- Second place – $400
- Third place – $300
- Fourth place – $200
- Five commended entries receive $100 each.
- Winners and commended entries will be published by Minds Shine Bright in an e-book.
- A further 10 writers be awarded certificates and gifts of recognition.
- Winners are selected based on literary merit.
- The entry fee is $5 per entry
- Each entry submitted must be the original, unpublished work of the submitting writer.
- The judge of Storm is Amanda Scotney, founder of Minds Shine Bright and all entries are judged blind.
- Writers must include the theme of storm in some way in each entry.
Please read the full list of terms and conditions here.