Speculative Fiction/Horror ONLY -
The readers loved it so much, we're doing it again! We are looking for previously unpublished, character-driven, speculative short stories written by Black women writers for our third special issue (October 2022).
Need context? Check out our previous speculative issues HERE.
Speculative fiction is a broad genre encompassing fiction with certain elements that do not exist in the real world, often in the context of supernatural, futuristic, or other imaginative themes. This includes, but is not limited to, science fiction, fantasy, superhero fiction, horror, utopian and dystopian fiction, fairytale fantasy, and supernatural fiction.
- Please submit your short story no later than July 30, 2022.
- Stories must meet our minimum 1,500 word count requirement.
- Submissions should be submitted in proper short story manuscript format with your name, email address, and the story’s total word count on the first page. For our purposes, you do not need to include a mailing address or phone number. Click here for an example of proper short story manuscript format.
- All submissions will be considered for publication on a rolling basis on midnightandidigo.com or in our Speculative fiction special issue (online and/or print - October 2022).
- We offer $200 for Short Stories accepted for publication in our annual Speculative issue (eBook, print, and/or audiobook - ~October 2021) and $100 for Short Stories accepted for publication on midnightandindigo.com.
- We accept only previously unpublished work. Responses will be provided by August 31, 2022.