SAA International Poetry Competition
Our inaugural International Poetry Competition in 2021 was a huge success and we were overwhelmed by the response so - we’re back! We are looking for original, unpublished poems from the military community. This year we have an open theme, meaning you can send us poems based on anything you like.
The competition is open to all members of the military community, whether you are serving , a veteran or a relative of a service person/ex service person. You do not need to be a published poet or have tons of experience, just have a go! This is also an international competition, so we welcome entries from across the globe.
There are two categories for the competition, each with prizes for the winning poem:
Adults (18 years and over)
First Prize: £50 cash prize and a selection of poetry books worth up to £50
Young Person (12 - 17 years)
First Prize: A selection of poetry books worth £50
The winners will be announced at our special prize giving event in October and both winners will have their poems published on The Soldiers’ Arts Academy website.
Thursday 3rd March 2022 - Competition Opens for Entries
Thursday 1st September 2022 - Competition Closes
Thursday 22nd September 2022 - Top 20 Poems Announced (subject to change)
Thursday 13th October 2022 - Prize Giving Ceremony, shortlisted entries and winners announced. We hope to run an in person event as well as inviting a zoom audience.
- The competition will close at 17:00 (BST) on Thursday 1st September 2022. Any entries submitted after this time will not be considered.
- There is an entry fee for the adult category, this is £4 per poem or £10 for three poems (a maximum of three poems can be submitted). Entry for the young persons category is free.
- Entrants must have a connection to the military. This can include individuals currently serving, veterans or their families.
- International entries are more than welcome.
- All poems must be the original work of the entrant and can not have been published previously.
- We have an open theme this year, so any poem can be entered.
- Poems should be no longer than 40 lines (excluding the title).
- All entries should be submitted in English (however we will accept small phrases or lines in other languages).
- All poems will be judged anonymously, so please do not put your name anywhere on the document that contains your poem.
- Poems should be submitted in a Word Document (.doc or .docx) or a PDF file.
- Copyright will remain with the poet, but The Soldiers’ Arts Academy reserves the right to publish winning entries, in both categories, on their website and promotional material.
- The judges decision is final and we will be unable to enter into a discussion about the results.
- We will reveal the top 20 poems in mid September. The top 20 will be announced on our website and poets will be contacted.
- The top 20 poems will be submitted to our guest judge (TBA) who will work in conjunction with our SAA poetry judges to create a shortlist of 6 poems. The shortlisted 6 poems will be revealed at our prize giving event in October.
- Shortlisted poems will be read out during the prize giving ceremony. We intend to host a hybrid event that will include in person attendees and a zoom audience. The event will be recorded.
- By submitting to this competition you agree that, if shortlisted, your poem will be read out during the prize giving ceremony and will be recorded. All poets in the top 20 will be contacted to see if they would like to read their poem should they be shortlisted during the ceremony. If they decline, the poem will be read by an actor.
- Entrants to the young persons category will be contacted if shortlisted and consent to participate in the prize giving ceremony will be sought.
HOW TO SUBMIT
- (Step 1) Pay your entry fee online using the dropdown menu and PayPal link.
- Fees for the adult category; £4 per poem or £10 for three poems. Young persons category is FREE.
- (Step 2) Submit your poem by emailing a .doc or .pdf document to SAApoetrycompetition@gmail.com with SAA Poetry Competition as the subject header. Please make sure you have read the competition rules before entering.
- Poems are judged anonymously. Each poem must be on a separate page, which must not bear the author’s name or any other mark by which the author could be identified.
- Please include the following information in your email: name of poet, title of poem, contact details including phone number, your connection to the military, where you heard of the competition, and the payment reference number you received when you paid your entry.
If you have any questions regarding the competition, don’t hesitate to contact us. All questions should be sent to SAApoetrycompetition@gmail.com