Proud to Be Contest
All Military Personnel, Veterans, and their Families: Call for Submissions and Contest for Volume 11
Proud to Be: Writing by American Warriors
Deadline: May 2, 2022 (11:59 pm)
No entry fee, 5 categories for the contest, $250 prize in each:
Theme: Created by the Missouri Humanities Council, the Warrior Arts Alliance, and Southeast Missouri State University Press, this series of anthologies preserves and shares military service perspectives of our soldiers and veterans of all conflicts and of their families. It is not only an outlet for artistic expression but also a document of the unique aspects of wartime in our nation’s history.
Writing must be by veterans, military-service personnel, or their families. Include the connection in your short bio.
Two types of entries: 1) anthology only; 2) contest and anthology
1. Anthology-only entry: Submit your work via our Submittable page
2. Contest and Anthology entry: Submit your work via our Submittable page
With your submission, please include your contact information, a brief bio, mention of your military connection, and the genre of your piece(s) (essay, fiction, etc.).
· $250 first prize and publication in each category; all entries also considered for anthology.
· Entries must be submitted through our Submittable page
· Keep poems in one document (with 1st poem as title).
· Put your name, short bio, and contact info in the cover letter field on Submittable and nowhere else on the manuscript.For both mailed and electronic submissions:
· Limit one submission in each category per person.
· Poetry: up to 3 poems (5 pages maximum).
· Fiction, essay, interview: 5,000-word limit. Interviews are with military or veterans.
· Photography: up to 3 good-quality photos (will be printed in the book as b&w).
· Submissions exceeding the limits will be disqualified.
· Include a bio of 75 words or less with your submission. It must include your military connection.
· Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but please notify us via email at email@example.com if your submission is accepted elsewhere.
· Winners & contributors will be notified in August, with rejections to follow shortly after.
· Questions: contact James at the University Press at firstname.lastname@example.org