Shooter Poetry Competition
Welcome to the 2021 Shooter Poetry Competition. Along with Shooter’s Short Story Competition (which reopens to entries in January 2022), our contests offer an additional means to spotlight literary excellence, with cash prizes and highlighted publication both in the pages of the magazine and online.
General submissions for each issue relate to a particular theme, but Shooter’s Poetry Competition offers a chance to write about whatever most compels you, in any style. We’re looking for sharply observed poetry with strong ideas, imaginative use of language, and meaningful form: in short, arresting poems that appeal to both the head and the heart.
In return for the entry fee (£3.50 or £8 for three poems), all entrants will receive an e-copy of Shooter’s winter 2022 issue, featuring the winning poem.
- The winner of the 2021 Shooter Poetry Competition will receive £150, publication in the winter issue and on the website, plus promotion on Shooter’s social media.
- The runner-up will receive £50, publication on Shooter’s website, and promotion on social media.
- All entrants will receive an e-copy of Shooter’s winter issue.
- Poems may be any theme or style, up to 100 lines long.
- The competition is open to entries through November 28th, 2021. Winners will be announced in December.
- Proceeds from entry fees go toward prizes, contributor payments and Shooter’s production costs, supporting our mission to promote the best new writing and encourage the principle of paying writers for their work.
To enter, please email your poem(s) in a doc/docx/rtf attachment to email@example.com by the deadline of November 28th, 2021. Include your name and title of poem(s) in the body of the email, with no authorial information on the attached document. Multiple entries are accepted.
Entry fees can be paid via the following links (card payments are accepted in addition to PayPal):
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. We look forward to reading your work – good luck!