Create the Future
What we're looking for
We’d like you to answer the question
“What happens if we do take action to protect the planet? What happens when we dare to dream?”
You can interpret this question as loosely as you wish and explore it from any perspective. We will be looking for any of the following:
Fresh, new ways of thinking about and strengthening our connection to the rest of the living world
For example, poems, creative essays or short stories about our connection to each other and the world around us
Bold, imaginative predictions or hopes for the future
For example, solarpunk, utopian and speculative fiction. To get you started, think about a day in the life of someone your age in 100 years’ time. What are the most common jobs? How do you travel? What do you wear? Where do you shop? What does your town/city look like?
Stories that show us how we get from here to there
For example, an imagined retrospective / letter to our generation from someone living in 50 / 100 years’ time
We are particularly keen to hear from voices that are not usually represented within the environmental movements, including but not limited to Black writers, indigenous writers, writers of colour, writers from working class backgrounds, and other marginalised voices.
For further inspiration, please read about Our Vision.
How to enter
- Your entry must be saved in a word-type document (.doc, .docx, .odt) saved with a document name in the format YOURLASTNAME_TITLEOFWORK
- Please include within the same document a one-page coversheet containing:
- your full name
- preferred pronouns
- email address
- country of residence
- if applicable, whether you consider yourself to be an underrepresented writer and why
- Submit your work using the online form before 17th October 2021
Due to the expected volume of entries and the voluntary nature of our staff, we will be unable to provide individual feedback or responses to unsuccessful entries. The titles of all successful entries will be posted on the competition website after judging has been completed.
- If your work is shortlisted, you will be featured in the published anthology alongside global leaders, campaigners, experts and innovators.
- We are not charging for entry as we believe money should never be a barrier to having your voice heard, but unfortunately this means we’re also working for free. As a result, we’re not offering huge cash rewards – instead, we’ve opted for prizes that will help you build the future you’re writing about.
- UK-based winners
- First prize: 1x Delphis Eco Home bundle
- Second prize: 1x Delphis Eco Kitchen bundle
- 3rd prize: 1x Delphis Eco Bathroom bundle
- International winners
- We are seeking prizes from a range of eco-friendly sponsors. If this could be you, please get in touch!
- Under 25s
- We are seeking prizes for young people aged 18-25 – if this is you, please get in touch!
Sunday 17th October 2021, 23:59
What you can enter
Individual entrants can enter one submission. All entries must fit into one of the following categories:
- Poetry (up to 40 lines)
- Short stories (up to 2,000 words)
- All other creative prose (up to 2,000 words)
Entries must not have been published (including self-published, published on a website, broadcast or featured amongst the winners in another competition).
You may submit your work to other competitions but you should let us know if you subsequently wish to withdraw your entry to the anthology due to it being featured in another publication.
- The competition is open to all writers over the age of 18
- Separate winners will be chosen from the 18-25 age category
Language & nationality
- The Create the Future competition is open worldwide and applicants from non-English-speaking countries are warmly welcomed
- However, due to the limitations of the judging panel, if the original language of the entry is not English, the entry must be accompanied by an English translation (the quality of the translation will not be judged and can be rendered using an automated tool such as DeepL if required)
- By submitting to the competition, you agree for your work to be published in our anthology for an indefinite and unlimited amount of time. Your work remains your own and you can publish it elsewhere after it has been published in the anthology.
- Sadly, all physical prizes are subject to the possibility of shipping to your country. Prizes are non-exchangeable and non-transferable.