Troubadour International Poetry Prize 2021
udged by john mcauliffe & linda gregerson
- first prize £2,000
- second prize £1,000
- third prize £500
- plus 20 commendeds
submit via email by mon 27 sep 2021
(Check out winners, winning poems & judges’ reports, 2020 & previous, on our previous-winners’-poems page.)
- Linda Gregerson studied at Oberlin, Northwestern, Iowa Writers Workshop & Stanford, is Professor of English at University of Michigan, a Renaissance scholar, a classically trained actor & a Chancellor of the Academy of American Poets: her poetry collections range from The Woman Who Died in Her Sleep (Houghton Mifflin, 1996) to Prodigal: New and Selected Poems (Mariner, 2015)
- John McAuliffe (b. Listowel) has published five collections with Gallery Press including The Kabul Olympics (2020), is Professor of Poetry at Manchester University, where he directs the Centre for New Writing & Literature Live, founder & co-editor of Manchester Review, assoc. editor at Carcanet Press, & was chief poetry critic at the Irish Times (2013-2020) where he founded & chaired the Irish Times Poetry Now Award.
judges read all poems submitted
- Poems: Poems may be submitted from any country & must be in English, must each be no longer than 45 lines, must show title & poem only, must not show poet’s name, must be the original work of the entrant (no translations) & must not have been previously published; no text alterations accepted after submission; no limit on number of poems or number of subsequent submissions.
- Submission: Email only, no postal entries: email your poems as attachments (.doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf only) to email@example.com; include in email: Poet’s Name & Address, Phone Number, List of Titles, Number of Poems, Total Fees, & PayPal Receipt Number.
- Fees: £5/€6/$7 per poem (Sterling/Euro/US-Dollars only); payment via PayPal (see below, PayPal account not required).
- Timeline: Submit by midnight (your local time) on Mon 27 Sep 2021; prize-winners will be contacted in week commencing Mon 22 Nov 2021.
- Acknowledgement/Results: Submissions acknowledged within 14 days of receipt; results posted on website after our Mon 6 Dec 2021 prize-night event; judges’ decision is final; no correspondence entered into.
- Email Address: By including email address you agree to receiving emails regarding annual Troubadour International Poetry Prize.
Our secure online payments are handled by PayPal. You don’t need a PayPal account; all major credit cards are accepted.
To identify your payment:
- Please note PayPal Receipt Number (shows on–screen after completing payment & in payment–receipt email), & include it in your poem–submission email.
- If your PayPal name differs from Poet’s Name, please mention PayPal name in poem-submission email. No need to add anything in the ‘Note to Seller’ box.
Our PayPal options allow payment for up to 10 poems at a time. If making a second/subsequent payment, immediately or at a later date, there's still no need to add anything in the ‘Note to Seller’ box.
If you're unsure about how to use PayPal, we've provided a page of illustrated instructions.