North Street Book Prize North Street Book Prize
February 15-June 30, 2021.
Submit one or more self-published books in these categories:
- Mainstream/Literary Fiction
- Genre Fiction
- Creative Nonfiction & Memoir (definition)
- Children's Picture Book
- Graphic Novel & Memoir
- Art Book (definition)
- Not currently accepted: books by deceased authors, anthologies with 3+ authors, history, biography, self-help, how-to, reference, cookbooks, education, travel guides, middle-grade books for ages 8-12, political tracts, religious instruction, translations of the work of other people
- One grand prize winner will receive $5,000, a marketing analysis and one-hour phone consultation with Carolyn Howard-Johnson, a $300 credit at BookBaby, and 3 free ads in the Winning Writers newsletter (a $525 value)
- The top winner in each category will receive $1,000, a marketing analysis and one-hour phone consultation with Carolyn Howard-Johnson, a $300 credit at BookBaby, and one free ad in the Winning Writers newsletter (a $175 value)
- One honorable mention in each category will receive $250
- We will publish online excerpts from all entries that win a prize, along with critiques from the judges
Length limit: 200,000 words maximum. You may submit a collection of short stories or essays as a single entry. No restriction on age of author. No restriction on year of publication. Submit an ebook or a printed book. All countries eligible except Syria, Iran, North Korea, and Crimea (due to US government restrictions). All contestants receive a free PDF download of Great Little Last-Minute Editing Tips for Writers by Carolyn Howard-Johnson and free guides from BookBaby. Read about the winners of our sixth contest. The results of our seventh contest will be announced on February 15, 2022. Entry fee: $65 per book. Please click the Submittable button below for full details.
"As a recent winner, I am highly impressed about how supportive they have been: offering a detailed review of my work, a free ad, a marketing consult, and a credit for BookBaby—all of this in addition to a significant cash prize. All of this for an indie, self-published book of poetry: a category not served by many other venues. In my opinion, WW not only offers contest info, it also serves as a model of how a contest can serve the individual writer and the writing community."
—W.R. Rodriguez, 2018 North Street poetry winner for From the Banks of Brook Avenue
The North Street Book Prize is recommended by the Alliance of Independent Authors (ALLi), a designation for "contests which are organized for the benefit of the author rather than the profit of the organizer."