The Travel Short Story Competition
Sadly due to Covid 19 the year of 2020 will be remembered as the year of cancelled travel plans, lockdown and immobility. Lots of us have been day dreaming of getting away or even just getting out of our own house. For these reasons this competition is challenging wordsmiths to create a travel story that takes it's reader on a journey. The destination can be anywhere, on this world or another, and it can be in the genre of your preference. You can create something completely from a vivid imagination or draw on real life experience. The theme of Travel is entirely open to your interpretation. Get out the maps, dust off the travel brochures and get creating an adventure. Stories no longer than 5000 words please. Entry is £7 per story submitted. For rules and prizes please see below.
There will be 3 prizes offered.
1st Prize £1000 and publication in a short story anthology.
2nd prize £500
3rd Prize £250
(Please note that all TWTW price purses increase with the level of submission so please keep checking back to see the total prize fund - currently stands at £1750 divided as above 02/10/20).
The Rules - PLEASE READ, we don't want to disqualify you after all the effort you've made.
- Entries must not exceed 5000 words, excluding title and headers and footers.
- Entries should be in the form of a short story, on a Travel Theme and written in English. No Children's Stories please.
- A £7 fee, is required per entry. Multiple entries are acceptable at £7 per entry.
- This competition is open to anyone in the world over the age of 18 years.
- Entries should not have the author’s name, or any other identifying marks, on the competition entry. Each page should contain the story title and page number at the top or bottom.
- Please double or 1.5 line-space your text using 12-point Times New Roman, Arial or Georgia fonts.
- The Closing Date is 30th November 2020 and electronic entries must arrive by 23.59 UK time on that day.
- Winners will be notified by 14th January 2021 and announced on The Wit To Woo website and / or Facebook Page.
- Copyright remains with the author, although the winning entries will be published in a Short Story anthology by The Wit To Woo . Publication in the anthology, or on the website, is not guaranteed.
- Electronic entries received after the closing date, and postal entries with insufficient postage or postmarked after the closing date will not be accepted but entry fees will not be reimbursed
- No entries should have won or been placed in a competition or been previously published including on any third-party online platforms.
- Entries may be submitted into concurrent competitions but must be withdrawn by the author if successful or published elsewhere.
- Entries must be entirely the work of the entrant. Translations are not acceptable.
- The judges’ decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Entries failing to meet any of the above rules will be disqualified. Fees from disqualified entries will not be reimbursed, and any prize monies must be returned.
- Entry indicates an acceptance of these rules.
- The Wit To Woo reserves the right to cancel a competition at any time. All Fee's paid will be reimbursed in this event.