Cafe Writers Open Poetry Competition
Closing Date 30th November 2020
Five Commended Prizes of £50
Norfolk Prize £100
For the best poem from a permanent Norfolk resident not winning another prize
£4 per poem; or £10 for 3 poems & £2 per poem thereafter
Sole Judge Helen Ivory
Helen Ivory is a poet and visual artist. She edits the webzine Ink Sweat and Tears and is tutor and Course Director for the UEA / National Centre for Writing online creative writing programme. She has won an Eric Gregory Award and her fifth Bloodaxe Books collection, The Anatomical Venus, was short-listed for the East Anglian Book Awards (2019) and won the East Anglian Writers ‘By the Cover’ Award (EABA 2019).
- Closing date for receipt of entries: 30th November, 2020
- Maximum of 40 lines (excluding title) on one side of A4.
- The Prize is open to anyone other than Café Writers committee members.
- Entries must be entirely the work of the entrant and must never have been published, self-published, published on any website or broadcast.
- We regret that entries cannot be returned.
- Entries must be in English.
- No corrections can be made after receipt, nor fees refunded.
- Entries must show no name, address or identifying marks other than the title.
- Worldwide copyright of each entry remains with the author, but Café Writers will have the unrestricted right to publish the winning poems on its website and in press releases publicising the competition.
- The Norfolk Prize is awarded to a permanent Norfolk resident, for a poem not winning another prize.
- The judge’s decision is final and no individual correspondence can be entered into.
Entry implies acceptance of all the rules. Failure to comply with the entry requirements will result in disqualification.
Fees & Prizes: Prizewinners will be notified in writing by 31st January 2021.
The list of prizewinners will be displayed on the website after the prize-giving event at Café Writers on 8th February 2021.
Receipt: Enclose a stamped addressed postcard marked ACKNOWLEDGEMENT or include your email address below and you will receive an email receipt.
Results: All entrants will receive an email notification of results, if email is provided.
To receive a print version, enclose a stamped addressed envelope marked: ‘RESULTS’.
You can download an entry form WITH POSTAL ADDRESS here as a PDF
TO ENTER AND PAY ONLINE using Paypal:
PLEASE READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY IN ORDER THAT ORDER PREVAILS!
Save your poems in A SINGLE Word document or PDF, allowing only ONE POEM PER PAGE, and add as an attachment to a covering email which will include your name, address, email address and titles of your poems.
And please include no name, address or identifying marks (other than the poem’s title) to the attachment containing your poems.
As the subject heading to your email, please write your name and the title of the first poem in your attachment.
Send to: email@example.com (please cut and paste this address to limit the amount of SPAM we receive)
You will be sent a receipt of your entry via email.
Please pay for online entries using Paypal here: