Crab Creek Review
reading period is open from September 15 through November 15. The
editors seek original, unpublished poetry, fiction and creative
nonfiction via Submittable.
Submissions are free, and payment is in contributor copies. We look
forward to reading your work, and encourage early submissions.
General Submission Guidelines:
- Only original, previously unpublished work will be considered.
- Title your document with your name and the genre. (i.e.: GwendolynBrooks_Poetry; JeanRys_Fiction; Adrienne Rich_Nonfiction.)
- Include a cover letter in the provided space in the Submittable form (not in the document). Include your mailing address, email and phone number, a 50-word bio, and the titles of the pieces you are submitting.
- Should you submit something that is under simultaneous consideration, please indicate this in your cover letter and notify us immediately by adding a note to your Submittable account if the piece is accepted elsewhere.
- Send your work as a SINGLE attachment (.doc; .docx; .rtf; PDF); docx preferred.
- Please submit no more than one batch of poems or one prose piece per reading period.
- We aim for a response time of 8 weeks, but please do not query your submission status unless 3 months have passed.
- If you need to update us on the status of your simultaneous submission, please do so by adding a note to your submission, in Submittable.
Poetry: Send up to four poems, no more than eight pages total. We welcome your best work, and have no restrictions on form or content, except that we will not consider work that is defamatory, discriminatory, or that promotes hatred. 12pt standard font. One batch of submissions per reading period. Revisions may be made upon acceptance; please do not withdraw and resubmit your work due to revisions concerns.
Send one piece up to 3,500 words or up to three pieces of flash fiction/lyric prose fiction. We are interested in all types of stories, though sometimes suspicious of those in which genre conventions overshadow literary concerns. Still: please surprise us. Send one file, with your work double-spaced, 12pt standard font. One submission per reading period. Revisions may be made upon acceptance; do not withdraw and resubmit your work due to revision concerns.
Creative Nonfiction: Send one piece, up to 2,000 words, or up to three micro-essays. We want to read from a diverse pool of writers, and we want to read exceptional essays. Think Cheryl Strayed, Philip Lopate, Amitava Kumar, Roxane Gay, Ariel Levy, and others. We do not publish literary criticism, scholarly articles or straight reportage. Double-spaced, 12pt standard font. One submission per reading period. Revisions may be made upon acceptance; do not withdraw and resubmit your work due to revision concerns.