Send your essay and all other information in the body of your email. Emails with attachments will be discarded, unread.
- We publish nonfiction. This includes personal essay, criticism, reportage, or anything else you think belongs to the category of nonfiction. This, you may have guessed, does not include fiction.
- Our ideal word count is somewhere between 250-500 words, but stellar pieces that are a little longer or shorter will be considered. The idea is that these should be pieces of great writing that people can fit in during idle times.
- Submissions are open to everyone, but we are particularly excited to read work from writers of color, LGBTQIA+ writers, neurodivergent writers, writers with disabilities, multilingual writers, women, and anyone else whose perspective is underrepresented in the very white, very male, very cisgendered publishing industry.
- Please only submit pieces that have not yet been published elsewhere, including your blog.
- Please only submit one essay at a time. Simultaneous submissions are highly encouraged, but just give us a heads up if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Please only submit pieces that are ready for publication. While we’ll offer some editorial feedback for pieces we choose to publish, this teeny-tiny operation is not currently equipped to handle extensive edits. (Including typos!)
- While we are open to essays on pretty much any subject you can think of, do not send us anything that promotes any type of bigotry, including but not limited to: racism, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, fatphobia, ableism, or nationalism.
We are currently able to offer a $5 honorarium for pieces we choose to publish, paid via PayPal upon publication. We hope this indicates to you that we believe in the value of good writing, and that writers should be paid for their work, even when the payment is small.
Once you are ready to submit, send your essay to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the word “submission” and your name, as you would like it to appear on the blog, in the subject line. Please also include a brief third-person bio, and website and social media links, where applicable.
Tiny Essays is a one-person operation (and that one person has been writing with the “we” pronoun to avoid any future editing should the team grow, and anyway, “we” sounds more official and proper, doesn’t it?) and we (I) appreciate your patience as we (I) sort through your submissions. You can expect a response within 6-8 weeks of submission.